17 Mar Tips for Traveling Switzerland on a Budget
Yes, Switzerland is one of the most expensive countries to spend your holidays in, but it doesn’t mean that you can’t do it on a budget. Of course, it won’t be as cheap as traveling to Georgia or Ukraine, but it certainly is doable. And it’s definitely worth it.
So how can you visit Switzerland and make sure that you don’t spend all of your money and more?
- Set up a home base. Switzerland is not that big, and you probably won’t be able to see absolutely everything. It may be a better idea to find a smaller, affordable accommodation and keep exploring from there.
- Skip major cities. Yes, a one-day trip to Zurich or Geneva is probably worth considering, but spend most of your time in small towns or even villages. After all, the majority of tourists come to Switzerland for the breathtaking scenery anyway.
- Buy food at grocery stores. Avoid restaurants at all costs or you will end up with nothing in your wallet. Buy regional products as they are always cheaper than imported goods.
- Buy souvenirs at grocery stores. Yes. Exactly. Some grocery stores have even special sections for tourists and they are less costly than souvenir shops.
- Drink tap water. It’s drinkable and it will allow you to save lots of money.
- Plan your tour around free museums. There are plenty of free museums in Switzerland, in each city. You probably wouldn’t have time to do them all anyway so stick to the free ones.
- Spend time outdoors. Once again, Switzerland is worth visiting and spending your time with Mother Nature. It’s probably one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Once you see it, you will have to stay outside forever. There are multiple places where you can climb, hike and swim, there are also historic little towns to wander around and festivals to attend.
- Travel off-season. When it comes to Switzerland, it means traveling in spring or autumn. Everything will be much cheaper then, including accommodation. And the weather is really good anyway. Just check if the activities you chose are available at that time.
- Get yourself the best car hire deal. Navigate to this website to find it and see the infographic below to find out how to travel by car and save money: