Buying Venetian Masks in Veniceland, Venice

Venetian Mask from Veniceland in Venice, Italy

Whilst it’s not often that I’m invited to masquerade parties, it’s still nice to have a handmade Venetian mask just in case the invitation arrives. They’re pretty sexy and make a great souvenir from your trip to Venice.

The problem is, there are Venetian masks everywhere in Venice and it can be difficult to differentiate between tourist tat and a quality handmade mask. There are stalls and shops everywhere selling elaborate masks of all colours and shapes. You buy one, only to see a nicer one in a shop down the street. Shopping for masks is dangerously addictive and my friends ended up purchasing more than one!

If you’re looking to buy a Venetian mask in Venice then I would recommend visiting Veniceland Masks and Costumes, which is just off Piazza San Marco. I’ve put their address and contact info at the bottom of this post so you can find it. We stumbled across the shop walking form Piazza San Marco to the Rialto Bridge.

They have quite a large air-conditioned shop with an extensive collection of beautiful masks. The one above is a wire mask, but they also sell beautiful papier-mâché masks for both men and women, as well as masks you can hang on the wall.All the masks are handmade and the shop is family-owned. They really know what they’re talking about too and can help you choose the right mask to suit your face. My friends were flying back to Australia and they packed them for the plane so they wouldn’t get damaged.

Veniceland:

San Zulian, San Marco 617-30124, Venezia

Tel: +39 041 5289568

Get FREE updates, travel deals and tips straight to your email with my monthly newsletter.

, , , ,

7 Responses to Buying Venetian Masks in Veniceland, Venice

1. Justin Morris May 31, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

I was in the same situation as you when I was there in February. Wanted to get my girlfriend one but was overwhelmed by the obvious dodgy rip-off stalls lining the Rialto Bridge and the streets on either side. Wasn’t until I stumbled across a shop in a quiet side street that was FILLED with amazing looking masks and one little Italian lady in there making them. Then I knew it was a bit more special, and got a great looking orange one with sensational detail. And yes, she loved it. :D

• victoria June 5, 2011 at 7:10 pm #

Fab bet you got some + points for the mask Justin! They do make great gifts when you find a good shop, so hard to choose though!

2. Jeni, GetawayGirlBrissie June 15, 2011 at 2:44 am #

Got to agree with you – the mask shops can be overwhelming but I managed to find a lovely one in one of the backroads as well – can’t remember the name of it – but you can find handmade ones if you’re prepared to have a look. Must admit the stores all over the Rialto Bridge did look beautiful, especially one with a beautiful Venetian lace christening dress, on display.

3. Louisa July 3, 2011 at 7:37 pm #

Where do I find that exact mask in the picture?? It is so beautiful!! Is there a website??

• victoria September 11, 2011 at 12:29 am #

Veniceland San Zulian, San Marco 617-30124, Venezia just off Piazza San Marco. There isn’t a website as far as I know.

4. Tony September 27, 2011 at 10:17 pm #

Hi, how much does original mask from papier mache cost?

I bought one near San Marco square, with the stamp saying that the original mask is hand painted and made in Italy… It was for 25 euros with attached certificate La Maschera Del Galeone. The lady sold it just on the street, she said that the mask is made from papier mache, she was italian, and also she had nice masks for 18 euro without stamp.

So, how do you think, both of them chinease plastic?
    By the way the surface inside is not smooth, I don’t know how to differentiate plastic from papier mache.

Ok, thanks if anybody can say something about this.

5. Henry February 13, 2013 at 6:55 pm #

For those who are interested in finding Veniceland, here is the website with directions to the store.

I too have bought myself a pair of masks to hang on my wall. The people are very friendly and patient with your questions. I went back twice before picking my two masks and both are sensational.

I agree with Victoria, Veniceland is a must to visit.